- Select the section that is to contain the question.
- Select New Question from the button bar.
Note: Alternatively, you can right-click on the section and select New Question from the popup menu.
- Enter the question text in the Enter Your New Question dialog and select OK.
Note: Ensure the "Use same choices..." checkbox is unchecked.
- Do not enter any values in the Response Choices tab.
Note: A fill-in-the-blank question gets created when no response choice values are specified.
- Select the Online Form Settings tab in the question properties sheet.
- Specify the response display setting and height/width settings to your preference.
Note: Remember that regardless of the physical size of the input field, the open-ended/fill-in-the-blank response can accept up to 16,000 characters. It does this by scrolling as appropriate.
- Select OK to save the question.
This brief video shows this feature in action.
This topic in the user guide describes this feature.